Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Life in Mississippi: A Quick Update

I realized that I haven't really updated about what all is going on in my life lately. Here's a few updates.

1. I don't live in a dorm anymore! Tory and Colleen, two of my best friends from Indiana, moved down here with me. We have an apartment in Richland, a suburb of Jackson. They both are going to local Christian undergraduate schools. Our apartment rocks my socks off! It's basically beautiful--kind of feels like a condo. I'm not sure how we afford it. It's nice to not be doing the whole dorm life thing anymore. Especially after living in a townhouse my senior year of college, it was kind of difficult to handle a dorm again. Plus, dorm life mixed with graduate school just isn't as nice of a mix anyway. Anyway, I'm super excited to be in our apartment.

2. I still work at that buffet place. That's right, I still work at Hamil's restaurant. I like working there a lot. It's a good atmosphere, usually :), and I enjoy my job. I've actually upped my hours a little bit for this school year compared to last. I'm feeling the effects of that already academically, but I'm determined to make it work. As to Starbucks, I quit at the beginning of this month. It wasn't quite working out for several reasons.

3. I'm more involved with teenagers again. I can't stay away from adolescents! haha. I'm co-leading the Wednesday night youth program at Olde Towne Community Church. I love these students. The balancing act of time is a challenge, but I love spending time with them and pouring into them along with teaching them. They're great!

4. I'm taking some cool classes. The schedule this semester consists of Learning Styles and Taxonomy with Luman--an introductory class to the Teaching concentration, Pentateuch with Oswalt, Introduction and History of the New Testament with Cockerill, and Hebrew for Exegesis with Oswalt. Also, with the new curriculum I'm enrolled in a 1/2 hour course per semester call Cumulative Formation Practice--which basically involves required material for personal devos that the whole seminary community is working through together plus a small group meeting once every three weeks.

5. I'll be here an extra six months. This is a tough one for me to just throw out there, but I've decided God has more for me in my "seminary/Mississippi" experience than just class work all the time. A lot of factors play into this, but it will take me 3.5 years to finish instead of just 3. I'm telling myself I'm ok with that--and I need to be because I feel like it's what God wants.

6. I'm praying about New Zealand. My eyes were recently opened to a great need among adolescents in New Zealand. I'm seriously praying about spending some time there, possibly with Global Partners, after seminary.

There's my update for the semester!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Amber Janelle Livermore said...

Thanks :)

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home