Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Seeds Remain Dormant For a Long Time Sometimes...

This morning, I wanted to write an encouragement note to everyone struggling to live a godly life and point the people around them to Christ. Sometimes it is discouraging... especially when people consistently want nothing to do with Jesus Christ. The looks and comments sometimes hurt us deeply, "Jesus freak..." "Religious nut!!" And other times... haha... you just want to scream because people don't get it at all! I remember one girl in junior high who asked me, "Why do you put yourself through all this?!" Because I love you--that's why. I put myself through this because Christ's love has totally transformed my life, and now His love overflows through me to you. I'm totally willing to be persecuted by you, FOR YOU.

Anyway, I suppose I should get to what prompted this encouragement note. In the past few years, I've been shocked by the correspondence I've had with some distant friends from high school. One friend contacted me about a year and a half ago. I had not heard a thing from him since graduation. He contacted me on facebook to let me know he had given his life to Christ. He let me know some of what God was doing in his life, and explained that he just knew I would want to know. Wow. Then, just this week, another old friend I have not heard from in almost six years contacted me--to let me know that he is searching for answers and truth. He wanted to be able to ask me some questions.

I'm so overwhelmed by all this for two reasons. One, I prayed for both of these people in junior high and high school. I could raid my old prayer journals and find their names. Second, neither of them showed any real interest while we were in school. They didn't ask me questions--I just tried to give them answers. Now one has found the Answer, and the other intentionally sought me out to start asking questions. Third, on a lighter note, both of these people found me on Facebook. How cool is it that Facebook can be a ministry tool?! :)

We are starting a series with the students at Olde Towne Community Church this Wednesday night about being able to give an answer for our faith--and why that is so necessary. It IS NECESSARY. And not only should we be able to give an answer, but our lives of love should be a type of answer in themselves. Our world needs and hungers for the truth of Jesus Christ. Don't be discouraged if it seems your seeds fall on dry ground! Keep planting! Don't give up! Six years from now, you may have a shocking and uplifting encounter. Seeds remain dormant for a long time sometimes... and they still can take root! Praise God who waters the seed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home