Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wesley Biblical Seminary

I am about to begin my second year at WBS, and I have been reflecting on my time spent there thus far. I want to share some of that reflection with anyone considering seminary. My experience has been life-changing and eye-opening to say the least.

1) If you're debating whether SEMINARY IS WORTH IT for local church ministry, I testify that it is more than worth it. I realize more each day how little I know about ministry--and how much more it is possible to learn. After one semester at WBS, I returned to the church where I had served on staff for three years to preach. Once the service was over, person after person who had sat under my previous ministry approached me and said, "WoW! I thought you could preach before, but oh my goodness!" "You've grown so much down there in just a few months!" "Seminary is really helping you!" Reflecting on my personal spiritual walk and ministry, I have no doubts that seminary is more than worth it. Three more years in the classroom will enable your years in the field to be much more productive.

2) If you're looking for a CHALLENGE, even after having a ministry bachelors degree under your belt, WBS is definitely a place for you. I suppose, being honest, I worried that it would be difficult to top the ministry education I received at Indiana Wesleyan University. However, despite the intense training I received with a double major in the Religion Department while at IWU, WBS has been a very stretching experience for me. The academics and ministry-training are rigorous, reaching a profoundly deeper level than what is possible in an undergraduate degree. There's no lack of a challenge here.

3) WBS is offering some unique degrees that can be completed in a shorter than usual amount of time and at much less than the usual cost. Financially, it's a smart choice of good stewardship.

These are just three reasons of many I would encourage WBS for someone thinking about seminary. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at amber.livermore@gmail.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home